Sometimes ditching toxins and saving money on our favorite beauty regimes come from the most peculiar of places. Like shaving. Sounds funny, doesn’t it? I have to laugh myself! 😉 However, after Charlotte and I purged our bathroom of synthetically-scented, toxin-laden soaps, lotions, hair products, skincare… You name it; we realized we had forgotten to address one last thing – our perfumed pink plastic razors. They looked harmless enough, that is, until we took a closer look…
Plastic Razor Cons
- If you think about it, on average a plastic razor needs to be replaced every month. Most women spend $8 for a plastic razor. Craziness! But it gets worse – over the course of one year, a woman spends $100 on razors alone. Essentially, we’re all just throwing money away instead of saving it. Take the equation just one step further, and we find a woman will buy razors for 75 years of her life, give or take, and spend $7,500! Yikes!
- Here’s the gross part – they have built-in lubricants/lotions that are filled with toxic fragrance. We were already using nice toxin/fragrance/dye-free soap, but what good was it doing if we were still “scraping” our skin with toxic-laden razors? Duh! All those toxins readily absorb into our open-pored skin in record time when we shower. Unfortunately, that little bit of junk will build still up in your body and possibly overload your liver. Mm, no thanks!
- Lastly, though they’re small, plastic razors are yet one more thing we’re feeding into the landfills. After doing the math I found that one woman will use an average of 900 plastic razors in her lifetime. That doesn’t sound like a whole lot until we remember that millions of women use them worldwide. I’d like to think that making this one teensy weensy switch, and encouraging you to do the same, will dramatically lower that number.
So, what other option did we have?
I had to wonder, what did our Grandmas and Great-Grandmas do before the sweet-smelling pink razor hit the market… Bing bing bing! Metal straight razors, of course! With that in mind, I jumped online and found that they were still being manufactured today! Bingo!
Metal Razor Perks
- What a relief to know that a metal razor is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase at a minimum cost of only $15! The ones we bought off of Amazon even came with a nice little travel case + 10 stainless steel blades for a sweet total of $20! *Gold stars and sprinkles*
- The coolest perk about them is you only need to replace the razor blades. You’ll be delighted to know that a bulk pack of 10 amounts to only $9. One blade lasts you a month or more, so you’re literally paying a total of $9 (or less) per year for razor upkeep. That is one-tenth of what you spend on plastic razors! Girl, if that ain’t a deal, I don’t know what is. To date, I have had my razor for more than two years, and I am still not even close to having to replace the blades that came with the razor! Sweet!
- As long as it is kept clean and gunk free, the metal razor will definitely last you a lifetime. I actually take mine apart and wipe off the junk with a towel after each use. Easy-peasy!
- Traveling with your metal razor is also quite safe if you have a case to keep it in. I would suggest finding a brand that includes a case with the purchase of the razor. I personally wouldn’t buy one any other way.
- Speaking of safety, metal razors are indeed perfectly safe and easy to use, even on delicate skin. The brand we chose actually includes a pamphlet of instructions and suggested usage with the razor. I recommend you read up to understand just how simple and safe they are. Psst! Using them is really no different than using the conventional plastic kind.
- This might be hard to believe, but Charlotte and I have found that our metal razors actually give a closer, smoother shave than the conventional plastic ones! Combine the experience with some after-shower Lavender Hand & Body Lotion or just a handful of coconut oil, and you’ve got über-smooth, nourished skin. 😉
It’s up to You
I personally believe that a *shiny* gold or silver metal razor is a lot more classy to have around your toiletry than a junky-looking plastic one. Call me silly, but I feel quite posh when I use mine! Besides, who doesn’t want to feel like a queen when they’re getting ready for the day?
The last thing I want to touch on is something very near and dear to my heart. So many of us girls are struggling with hormone imbalances, ugly PMS days, and mood swings we just can’t get a grip on. Girls, I hear you. I want you to know that I used to experience all those things. It was pretty bad. But let me tell you, there is good news! Besides eating clean, changing over to a chemical-free lifestyle is a must for us. It doesn’t need to be hard. In fact, we definitely encourage everyone to take little steps to get you to your goal. But not doing anything ain’t goin’ to help nobody!
So join Charlotte and I as we walk this journey of dynamically changing our health. You can have freedom, too! It just takes one step at a time and a lot of support and love. That’s why we’re here! We want you to enjoy a life unburdened. And you know, something as small as switching out your plastic razor for a metal one could be that first step! Take it!
By the Way...
We aren’t doctors or health experts. We just have a passion for wellness, and educating others on how to maintain it through the goodness of essential oils. Please know that any information provided on the B.Well website is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to prescribe, diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, nor replace current medical treatment or drugs prescribed by your healthcare professional. The statements made have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It is your responsibility to educate yourself and address any health or medical needs you may have with your physician. Please seek professional help when needed.